27 Before 28 | Tarreyn Land: 27 Before 28

Friday, October 16, 2015

27 Before 28

A little over a month ago I turned 28. 

It feels pretty good so far. 

The past few years I've created a goal list to accomplish with each new year. (See 26 before 27 HERE and 25 before 26 HERE - keep in mind I was a baby back then. I'm MUCH more worldly and mature now.) 

I'll write more about all the changes I've gone through and what I've learned at some point soon, but I thought I'd share how this year's goal list shook out. 






1. Get a job in the entertainment Industry - Half Check 
Literally a week and a half after I turned 28 I got hired by Nickelodeon. I'm stoked. Since it wasn't technically within the year I won't give it full credit, but it deserves a shout out. I'm a Social Media Coordinator for 2 shows on Nick animation and my inner 10 year old is flipping out. 

2. Go kayaking - Nope
Yeah... this just .... didn't happen.

3. Read the Harry Potter series - Nope
This was a goal Jake and I made together for the year. He's read the first 5.... I haven't touched one.... 

4. Learn 'You Belong to Me' on the ukulele Nope
As this song is a duet, this was another joint couple goal, but at least both of us dropped the ball on this one.  

5. Start doing improv - Check!
When I moved to LA, I knew that starting improv classes was something important to do. It's been a fantastic outlet, a great way to meet people, and I love learning a new skill. I'm halfway through the program at UCB where I've also started their sketch program, and I've been accepted at the Groundlings where I hope to start classes soon. This year I plan to complete UCB, start Groundlings  and try my hand in the "indie" improv scene. I don't think I'm a die-hard improv person, but I'm really enjoying it. 

6. Try to learn some Spanish - Nope
I thought with all the driving and I've done that I'd be into learning Spanish in the car, but my commutes have become reserved for long phone calls and loud music. 


7. Cut back on alcohol - ...
No comment. 

8. Make toning workouts a regular thing - Uhhhhhh
I WAS doing pop physique regularly for a while... then I just... stopped. 

9. Travel somewhere exciting - Check!
My cousin and his new wife planned a spontaneous small attendance wedding in Hawaii, where Jake and I had never been, and we jumped at the opportunity to be there for it! It was a really special weekend filled with a lot of cool adventures (hitchhiking (?!), luaus, hiking to the summit of a volcano, beach days) and so many Mai Tais I never need one again. 

10. Get an apartment with wood floors - Check! 
We totally lucked out with our tiny, perfect hillside bungalow. Wood floors, rent control and 2 parking spots - we're never leaving. 

11. Write a web series - Nah
I've filmed some videos for Hello Giggles and my friend and I have made some stuff, but no web series to speak of. 

12. Write a short play - Not at all. 
I literally don't even know why I made this a goal. 

13. Learn how to change my own oil - Check??
I haven't done it .... but I learned how. 

14. Try something new with my hair - Check! 
Not that this is a deep or meaningful goal, but I really wanted to shake up the plain brown hair, blunt bangs, everyday look (WITHOUT cutting or dying). I Started wearing it curly, which I love and am so happy I'm letting it fly free more. 

15. Get fun nail art done - Check! 
Another highly deep and meaningful goal. One of the many pros of LA is the nail art scene. Its a little way to treat myself and I love it. 

16. Complete 365 photo project - Check!
This was a really fun one. And as anyone who follows me on instagram knows, I was pretty obsessive about it. It was an important year for me to catalogue thoroughly and I'm so glad I did it. I even printed all 365 photos and put them in an album, and I love it. (So much in fact that I'm attempting it again. Follow it at #TVS28. I'm already two weeks behind. Oops.)

17 Practice Meditation - Check! 
In March I did Oprah & Deepak Chopra's 21 meditation challenge & loved it. I'm a pretty antsy person and I didn't believe I could truly focus and chill for 20 minutes a day, but I managed ok, and enjoyed it so much I tried it again in June. I don't really have that much time in my mornings any more, but I'm looking for shorter meditations and trying to apply the general mindset in my overall life. 

18. Get a hot stone massage - Nope
I got a Thai massage, I got a Swedish Massage, but no hot stones. Spa goals. 

19. Make the perfect beach picnic - Check!
Screw top or canned wine, Bag of peanuts, pre-sliced cheese and crackers, inner peas. 

20. Hike up to the Hollywood sign - Check! 
As an LA newbie, I wanted to make this happen. My best girl and I created a hiking club that lasted exactly 2 weeks before we decided it was too hot. BUT week 2 we accomplished the Hollywood sign. It was pretty cool. 

21. Spend less meaningless time on the Internet - Not at all. 
I went in the total opposite direction and got a job that's all about the internet. 

22. Find a podcast I love - Check!
Serial! Mystery Show! Reply All! Death, Sex & Money! WTF! New Yorker Fiction! This American Life! I went from someone who never listens to podcasts to loving them. Perfect for long drives and project time. 

23. Better Skin Care - Nope
I am terrible about my nightly skin care routine. I always take my makeup off, but that next step of washing my face and putting on night cream is still inconsistent. 

24. Write pilot  - Check! 
My writing partner (best friend) and I have completed a pilot we're pretty proud of. We've gotten some good feedback from people we respect and are working on the next draft to start submitting, along with several spec scripts. 

25. Be more positive - ?!
This year has been incredibly challenging at points. I've been really broke, really lonely, really scared, and struggled in a lot of new ways. And while I think I've stayed fairly positive through most of it, there have definitely been spells of defeatism in me that were new feelings and hard to wrestle with. Positivity and enthusiasm are choices, and that can be really hard on days when you don't even want to get out of bed. This is a goal I want to just maintain as a permanent thing to strive for in my life. 

26. Watch Seinfeld  - Nope
Much like Harry Potter - I just can't get into it. 

27. Write a spec script - Check! 
See 24. I didn't think I'd have so much fun writing in other people's voices, but it ended up being a blast. Writing a script for a show I love was challenging and exciting, and a great exercise. To any and all writing agents reading this - Yes, I am seeking representation. 


So that was my year. I love having these goal lists to check in on throughout the year, even if a lot of them change and I wonder why I ever thought I needed to do something. (But I'd still like to kayak.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment