What I Learned: Preparing for a 5K | Tarreyn Land: What I Learned: Preparing for a 5K

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What I Learned: Preparing for a 5K

I am stoked to tell you all that this weekend I ran my first 5K!
I've been training for a while (and by training I mean sometimes running a bunch and sometimes not running at all...)
I've mentioned before that until this year, I have so NOT been a runner. Races have always stressed my shit out, I've never understood the appeal of running, but in the last six months I have really come to love it. 
I set the goal for myself to try and run a full 5K with little to no stopping. I wasn't an amazing all-star, but I am lightyears ahead of where I started - not only in endurance, but in knowledge. 

Here's what I learned from training for a 5K:
  • Just do it
  • A little healthy competition can help with motivation
  • Sometimes in life, at the worst possible moment, you get stuck running next to a Mrs. Fields truck
  • No matter what your speed, you're running laps around anyone who stayed home
  • Following through with an activity or goal is a reward in itself
  • Sometimes you eat the road, sometimes the road eats you
  • Push yourself but accept your limits
  • Allow yourself to be silly! (Like getting face paint at the race)


  • What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
  • There will always be people who are better at something than you are. Don't let it discourage you.
  • There will always be people who are worse at something than you are. Don't let it go to your head.
  • You can do it
  • 6:30 in the morning is surprisingly not too early
  • Take Naps
  • Set your own standards and stick to them
  • Smile!
  • Power with Pancakes 
  • You run the day, the day doesn't run you
  • Sometimes you just need to listen to pop music (Katy Perry, I'd like to personally thank you for helping me make a 10 minute mile)
  • I'm a Firework

Me with my Medal at the Finish Line!

No comments:

Post a Comment