Thank You, Mombo | Tarreyn Land: Thank You, Mombo

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Thank You, Mombo

A lot of people say that their parents are their best friends. 
But mine actually are. 
We're talking multiple phone calls every day/mountains of inside jokes/favorite people in the world kind of best friends. 
So when things like Mother's Day come up, I get a little overwhelmed at where to begin to express my love and gratitude. 

To try to describe my mother is like trying to explain light. 
An intangible, gleaming, beautiful force of nature that illuminates every room she's in.  

She has spent her life dancing on tables and inhaling knowledge and intoxicating everyone she meets with her charm and wit. 
She's always up for an adventure, always ready with an idea, retort, or glass of champagne. 
She's an artist, a feminist, an explorer, a bibliophile, a pioneer. 
She's had more experiences than one person could ever dream of having in a lifetime, and keeps wanting more. 

It's time for Mothers Day. 
And even though my mom is soo much more than a mom, we're supposed to be expressing our gratitude for moms for their work as mothers.

So Mombo, Thank you.


Thanks, Mom.
Thanks for making me hundreds of beautiful hand-made costumes growing up.
Thank you for instilling in me a love of Matisse and Judy Garland and Red Nail Polish. 
Thank you for teaching me that you don't get things without hard work, but it's important to know when to put your feet up. 
Thank you for teaching me how to properly open a champagne bottle.

Thank you for showing me through example how to be an incredible friend, a strong & supportive partner, and a savvy woman. 
Thanks for always letting me know that I could be anything I wanted. 
Thank you for every stunning meal, every girls date, every hug while I cried. 
Thank you for teaching me that beauty comes from within & letting me stay home "sick" when kids were mean to me. 
Thanks for letting me get my ears triple pierced in third grade and for trying to teach me how to dance before the 6th grade formal. 
Thank you for being present in every fathomable way a parent can be there for their kid. 

Thank you for making me a feminist. 
Thank you for showing me the power of big hair and strong opinions. 
Thanks for being a surrogate mom to all of my friends. 
Thanks for teaching me that any bad day can be improved with Gone With The Wind and Häagen Dazs. 
Thanks for all the lullabies and study sessions and late night talks. 
Thank you for teaching me to be myself. 

Thank you for making me always know how safe I was. 
Thank you for always letting me decorate my room any way I wanted.
Thanks for the Canopy Bed. 
Thanks for my car.
Thanks for laughing the hardest at my jokes, editing all my articles, nursing my wounds. 
Thank you for teaching me to be brave. 

Thanks for marrying my amazing dad and you both showing me how relationships should be and what parents should do.
Thank you guys for being my biggest fans.

Basically, Mom, what I'm trying to say is that you're a groovy girl.
Thank you for being the best mom to ever live.
I love you to the moon and back, more than all the tea in China.


Everybody reading this - go hug your mom today. 


3 comments:

  1. I love this post! And I want your hat where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren!! I love this hat too, it was a gift from my sweetheart! He got it from Brixton! XO

      Delete
  2. I feel like I know your mom after reading this! I am sure your mom is just as awesome as you! You know how the saying goes "like mother like daughter!"

    ReplyDelete