I Made Coconut Macaroons & They Didn't Suck! | Tarreyn Land: I Made Coconut Macaroons & They Didn't Suck!

Thursday, July 11, 2013

I Made Coconut Macaroons & They Didn't Suck!

I am by no means a chef.

But every once in a while I get a wicked craving and a wild hair, and I decide to make something eccentric. (Eccentric for me being anything not partially pre-made.)

Since I am culinarily untalented as well as easily distracted, these experiments usually turn out to be good 50% of the time, and the other 50% they're usually burnt.

BUT -

Tonight I decided to make coconut macaroons.
And it was Bomb.

(I also just got a groovy new tablet for PhotoShop and thought I'd take advantage and play around with it.)

Also, I ended up making 2 batches with slightly different recipes, so I'll share both with you.




RECIPE #1:


Ingredients:

- 2 Large Egg Whites
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 1/2 Cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
* Glass of wine to drink while cooking (optional)



HOW TO MAKE IT:


1. Preheat the oven to 325, then butter and flour a piece of tinfoil on a cookie sheet


2. Stir together Egg Whites, Sugar, Vanilla, Almond Extract, and a pinch of salt until combined, then add Coconut.

3. Divide coconut mixture into about 8 balls and spoon onto baking sheet in mounds. 

4. Bake until the tops of the macaroons are golden in spots, around 15-20 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling rack and let cool for about 15 minutes. 


RECIPE #2:
(This was the one we liked more)

Ingredients:
- 1 pkg. (14oz) Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 6 Tbsp. Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 tsp. Almond Extract
*This makes about 3 dozen, so this is better if serving groups*

How To Make It:
1. Preheat oven to 325 and butter/flour your baking sheet.
2. Mix coconut, sugar, flour and salt in large bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract until well blended.
3. Drop by tablespoons onto baking sheet.
4. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.



*Chocolate Drizzle
No coconut macaroons are complete without a little chocolate drizzle on top! And it's the easiest thing ever!

Just Melt Chocolate Chips. Add Butter. Stir. Drizzle. Voila!

Enjoy your delicious Cookies! I am absolutely CocoNUTS about them! (Pun Intended.)





1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your comment! I am absolutely in love with these! And I was so pleasantly surprised by how easy it was! Good luck with making your own, I'm sure they'll be delicious! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete