Second Star To The Right | Tarreyn Land: Second Star To The Right

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Second Star To The Right

Aging is a funny thing because you don't notice it until it's snuck up behind you.
Now, as a wee lass of 25, I by no means think I'm old, but there are countless distinct and definite changes that have happened to me as I've evolved into my mid-twenties that I've begun to notice.
I'm not talking about the baby laugh lines or the beginnings of grey hairs (which I've definitely also noticed), I'm talking about silent little evolutions. An ever unfolding development of tastes and preferences. 

I mentioned recently that my palette has changed - I like dark strong coffee instead of mochas, and more bitter beers. I've traded cosmopolitans and mix drinks for straight whiskey, and I actually like ordering vegetarian sandwiches half the time. (Whaaa?) 
The mall stresses my shit out, and I'm coming to terms with the fact that I need 8 hours of sleep. (And by 8 I might mean 9.) 
I'm learning that you need to communicate constantly (especially when you don't want to), that you teach people how to treat you, and that if you don't ask, the answer will always be no.
I'm losing patience with certain things and gaining patience with others, and immediately noticing the material and tailoring of clothing items.
Money doesn't slip through my fingers quite like it used to (save the occasional 60$ bar tabs) and I'm more interested in buying investment pieces than a cagillion sundresses from Forever 21.
I'm actually enjoying indulging in moderation, am exercising consistently for the first time in my entire life and I've come to accept that I like techno music. I know.

None of this is necessarily about better or worse, it's just been interesting to realize how you change and evolve.
I floss my teeth every night now! (Almost)
Now don't get me wrong - I am not saying that I've grown up. Trust me. I still throw tantrums, get too drunk, cut my own bangs, forget to pay the cable bill, and my cooking repertoire is still predominantly founded in Trader Joe's frozen food section.
I will go on a spending frenzy because I just HAVE to own something new, I fall down constantly, I buy booze instead of dinner, and I wear sock monkey slippers. 

It's just funny to see how we change.

Although... and I don't mean to brag - but I've officially kept a cactus alive for TWO years. Face.

No comments:

Post a Comment