Obscene Cross Stitch DIY From Someone Who Doesn't Really Know How | Tarreyn Land: Obscene Cross Stitch DIY From Someone Who Doesn't Really Know How

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Obscene Cross Stitch DIY From Someone Who Doesn't Really Know How

Hey There Crafty People - 

Last week when I was in the embroidery section getting a hoop for my dream catcher, I thought about how much fun it would be to make a cross stitch for our pad!

I love when cross-stitched or embroidered things say something funny or unexpected, so I knew that's what I wanted to do. 

I pulled inspiration from one of my all time favorite movies - The Big Lebowski.

Lebowski is a big deal in our home, it's more of a way of life. We even have an incredible book about the zen of it. We've seen it in theatres a dozen times, it was one of our first dates, and 2 years ago for halloween we went dressed as The Dude and A White Russian! 
So, I decided to cross-stitch one of the most epitomal quotes:

Fuck it Dude, Let's Go Bowling

I kind of made it up as I went along, referring to a couple things for reference. 
Here's how you can make your very own obscene cross-stitch. (Or a normal one if that suits you better!)

Materials:

- Cross Stitch Fabric (I Used 11")
- Embroidery Hoop (I Used 9")
- Embroidery Thread
- Embroidery Needles






1. Put your fabric evenly over the inner circle and put the loosened outer hoop around it, then tighten so fabric is even and taught. 















2. Cut off excess fabric, leaving just a little bit around the outer edges.















3. Trace the size of the shape you want - I did a 5x7 photo.















4. Within your framing, use a pencil to write out what you're going to write. Fill in the letters with the cubes you'll be crossing over. All of my letters were 8 x's high and no more than 6 x's wide. 
Here are the lettering points of references I used:

5. Once your letters are where you want them, thread your needle (Single thread with a double knot at the end) and start crossing. There are two ways to do this. 1) you can complete full X's like the diagram below:
OR you can fill the whole letter in one direction then go back with the other line like this:
 

That's pretty much it! Do that across your whole sentence, tying off the thread on the back when you run out! If you get stuck or have questions, there are a ton of online resources!

Voila! Ours completes a wall in our living room!
 

PS - I am SO getting This Phone Case now!!!


Good luck! Have Fun!

2 comments:

  1. Heehee, I love these!! And thanks so much for your book list... think I'm going to be busy ordering on Amazon today! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you liked it! Let me know what you end up reading!!! XOXO

      Delete