DIY Dreamcatcher! | Tarreyn Land: DIY Dreamcatcher!

Saturday, July 20, 2013

DIY Dreamcatcher!

Ok, I'll admit it - Growing up in the Southwest dreamcatchers are everywhere, and I spent a large chunk of my life thinking they were kinda tacky. I was used to the ones for sale at gas stations or prizes at mini golf courses. 
I was a fool.
I've come to love dream catchers and lately I've been seeing them pop up all over the blogosphere! (Mr. Kate recently did a fun one HERE). So I decided to make my own and share it with you guys! 

Here's a little history about Dreamcatchers (Thank you, Wikipedia):

Dreamcatchers originated with the Ojibwe people and were later adopted by some neighboring nations through intermarriage and trade. It wasn't until the Pan-Indian Movementof the 1960s and 1970s, that they were adopted by Native Americans of a number of different nations. Some consider the dreamcatcher a symbol of unity among the various Indian Nations, and a general symbol of identification with Native American or First Nations cultures.
The Ojibwe believe that a dreamcatcher changes a person's dreams. According to Konrad J. Kaweczynski, "Only good dreams would be allowed to filter through… Bad dreams would stay in the net, disappearing with the light of day." Good dreams would pass through and slide down the feathers to the sleeper.
I also read that when the sun hits the catcher in the morning, all the bad dreams trapped in it will evaporate.

Cool, huh?

In my research I also learned that many Native Americans have come to see dreamcatchers as over commercialized (which is true) and even offensively misappropriated. Partially because of this, I wanted to make mine special and incorporate traditional and symbolic elements. 
I learned that the circular design of the dreamcatcher imitates the shape of earth as well as the circle of life, and that beads on the web represent spiders, which are symbolic for the 'weaver of fate' or the bearer of creative energy. 

The number of points on the web also has significance, with this following breakdown:
*  13 points – the 13 phases of the moon
*  8 points – the number of legs on the spider woman of the dreamcatcher legend
*  7 points – the seven prophecies of the grandfathers
*  6 points – an eagle or courage
*  5 points – the star


I was planning on doing 13 points, but then the webbing part got super hard, sooo it's just kind of all funky...


What You Need:

- The Inside Circle of an Embroidery Hoop

- Leather Cording, both thick for the circle and thin for the web

A Collection of charms that have personal meaning. I used charms, stones and trinkets from many different people and places around the world. 

- Feathers

- Beads, sparkly & Turquoise






How To Make It:


1. Start by looping a knot with the thick leather around the embroidery hoop

2. Lay down the excess leather and wrap the cording around laying flat and tight around half of the hoop.

3. When you've got half of the hoop wrapped, use the end of the cord to create a loop at the top from which you'll hang the dreamcatcher. Loop & knot it, then start wrapping your next length of leather around the excess leather & the rest of the hoop. 

4. Finish wrapping the entire loop with the leather and knot it off. Then if you wanna jazz it up like mine, use a different color leather cording to zig zag around, then knot at the bottom where you'll add your feathers. 

5. Now you do the webbing in the center. I knew I couldn't do a good job of explaining it, so I found this image to help you:

I made mine all kinds of funky and added beads as I went. I wish you luck with this part.



6. The next part is to add your feathers and add-ons. What worked for me was tying the feathers and charms to the strings and leather, then tying that to the hoop. 
Voila! Once you're happy with the amount of strands and add-on's, you're done! 
Hang above your bed and let the nightmares go away!

Hope you enjoy this! Send me pictures if you make some of your own!
Sweet Dreams!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment